Wednesday, August 14, 2013

An adventure to Monet on an inclement day



Today 'I' and I went to the Monet exhibition currently showing in Melbourne. It all began some months ago with 'I' telling me about one of her projects a Monet's Garden cross stitch featuring the famous bridge and water lilies scene. Coincidentally I had heard that there was to be was a Monet exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria running from May until early September.  
When we planned this adventure we had decided that mid week in August would be an ideal time and probably less crowded than at the very beginning or end of the exhibition... Well, we were wrong - the exhibition was packed with tour buses lined up outside. It seemed like most of Melbourne were viewing the exhibition today


The famous waterlilies at Giverny
Monet's paintings really need to be viewed from a distance for maximum impact  Like most impressionist paintings one has to stand quietly to allow the painting to reveal itself to you... What at first glance looks like a muddle of colour and ridges of paint slowly unfold until you see the complete image... Unfortunately due to the crowds, creating that viewing distance was near impossible to do... And with me being a little short person unless I was in the front I saw nothing at all except other people's backs... Still there was a lot to see and 'I' and I managed quite well to see most things... There were three main viewing rooms and then the final space that took you to the exit was darkened and on three of its walls was a continuously running short film called The Last Day at Giverny - it began with the sound of a rooster crowing, heralding the start of day and then it takes the viewer on a virtual tour of the iconic garden including the famous waterlily pond, the house Monet's studio and then finishes  with the day closing with a star lit sky over the house rooftop... This was accompanied by some soft music and was a gentle way of closing your visit to the exhibition and steadying you to once again join the outside. A quick look around the NGV bookshop finished our Monet experience.

You could also feel the salt spray blowing on you from this image. It too best reflected Melbourne's weather today


Monet's palette of colours subtly influences the merchandising display



Today was not the best down to be out and about in Melbourne - it was cold, windy with the promise of rain so we had decided it would be a 'one destination only' day so after leaving the warmth of the NGV we made a quick trip over the bridge back to Flinders Street station but not before a well earned pitstop for a hot coffee and a bite to eat...


The Yarra on a cold and dismal day.
Nothing tastes better than a sweet hot coffee on a cold day
All up we just made it to our respective doors when the heaven opened open and it poured... I will say though I hear a lot of grumbles about our public transport system but today I managed to score connecting buses and trains both ways making my actual travelling  time minimal.


The heavens ready to open - not far from home now...
And just to add, the NGV houses more than one exhibition and it is one of those places you could wander for hours and still not adequately see everything... These were two exhibitions also took my eye...

I thought Christmas had come early to the NGV - but no it was an art instillation...


Enlarge image below and read  for explanation.






And last - but not least... This was fascinating - they were flat bottom dishes of all sizes floating on this gently swirling blue pond... Every so often they would knock together creating a bell like sound...



Well, enough from me... Until later - take care...

Sharon x

2 comments:

Emma Kat said...

I enjoyed our adventure together; thanks for your company. I missed the reindeer!

Emma Kat said...

I found the cross stitch pattern of Monet's water lilies as I tidied up last night. Still love it... l o n g term project!