Sunday, February 5, 2012

Another seam closer to the end...

Not much to show this weekend - I have been too busy 'being social' and having a lovely time 'catching up'... So here are my 'doings'...

As you can see I have used a repeated herringbone stitch taken from TAST and combined it with a lazy daisy stitch with a small bead... I deliberately swung the lazy daisy to the side as I wanted the eye to follow along with the rhythm created by the herringbone stitch... It took me a while to catch onto the herringbone stitch... I am not a natural embroiderer - there is a lot of holding my tongue the right way,tangled threads and dropped needles. Our house is constantly on 'needle alert'! And if I was being marked for these pieces I am quite sure I would get a 'P +' for persistence and perseverance...

As you can see also I made a departure from a largely tone on tone and introduced the red thread to the green... This has 'linked' it to the red next to it and offered some continuity.  I am more or less happy with it with just a few more bits to add before I call it finished. I have intentionally left large areas unstitched as I wanted to give the block a feeling of freshness and space - but that may change after I have set it aside for awhile.  Now my thoughts are turning towards the next one which will be a bit of a departure from a traditional crazy block if all goes to plan...

With each block I am pushing myself to try something new... I am also finding it refreshing that I haven't  felt 'stampeded' into rushing but rather taking my time to create something that pleases me and I will look back on with a sense of achievement..


I have taken and will continue to do so - a photo copy of each 'naked block' - so that I can write down each stitch  as I go... It will be good to be able to look back and see how each stitch group was constructed...Sometimes I think it is the thoughts and scribbling behind the pieces which intrigue me rather than the completed items...

Until later, take care...

Sharon x x - from rainy, grey (with thunder and lightening) Melbourne

2 comments:

Gina E. said...

I'm glad for you that you are enjoying this; you weren't so sure when you signed up for it last year! I've just been looking at all the blocks on the block, and am gobsmacked by some of the fabulous work done on them. Leaves mine for dead! But I'm having fun too, and very happy with my finished purple block. The red block for Feb. is ready to roll!
Off topic, Ray gave me 4 LPs and $20 for Pete. I'll call you...

summer pickles said...

These are beautiful Sharon. I am loving watching your block evolve. Gorgeous. xx