Monday, October 4, 2010

creating a space....

I have complained for as long as I can remember about not having 'a space' - a space where I can create but as important - leave it undisturbed!!!!! Previously I have had the dining room table - great aspects t0 look at - the park over the road - but a nuisance as we either ate on trays off our knees or I would have to clean up and put away my stitching if we were having visitors or wanted to eat at the table...

For those of you who do that or have done it - nothing cuts into the creative flow more that being under the pump to put away every time you finish 'playing' for the day. Or worse still have a small gap of time to get on with something and have to unpack it before you can 'play'... As we are not likely to shift any time soon or in the position to make changes I had to think more laterally about what we had and how I could make my creative space...

I thought about all the areas in the house that I could utilize - then I had what must have been an inspired thought.... Why didn't I simply pack up my desktop computer that no longer worked, tidy my desk from all the stuff that seems to be attracted to its flat surface. Well I did, and voila - a space appeared!!!!! Now the photos I am showing you are not ' the before' photos but rather ' the after photos' but you get the general idea - a flat surface which is all mine... The shelving off to the side of the desk is full of 'stuff' - some I use most of the time - some I still need to cull... But I do have a flat space in which to spread out, play some and best of all - leave until I can return to it!!! Yay!!!! Happy dance here!!!! Admittedly, I do have to share the room (not the space) and sometimes that can be a little frustrating for both of us however it is something we can work on - but best of all - because it is in another room so I can just walk away from it and close the door if I need to!!!!!!

Why haven't I ever thought about doing it before???? Well, we were/are considering fixing the desktop but until/when that happens I have a space... In the mean time I can push my laptop to one side or remove it to somewhere else if I need all of 'the space'...

I think in some ways it was making me depressed at having no where of my own - even a space such as it is now - to create...

At the moment I am too enthralled at looking at 'the space' to do anything more than type this on my laptop....

In some obscure way I think this is all part of my 'down sizing' - making do with what I have and thinking of new ways to use things - even space!!!!

Until another time

Sharon xx

1 comment:

Daffycat said...

Oh good for you! Doesn't it really suck the creative flow out when you have to move everything? You will be so happy, I just know it!

I felt so content (completed, really) when we created my "space" in our office room. DH has his own desk and I have mine and all my craft clutter is close at hand. My desk is in the "hole" created from an unused closet. Not large, but enough for me to have a creative space of my own.